All roads lead… to Tabarca Island. Tabarca is an islet of great archeological value due to its watchtowers, such as the San José Tower, its characteristic wall or the church of San Pedro. It offers a summer energy: it is the perfect destination to spend the day between fine sand and warm water… sheltered from the Mediterranean sun.
For all this and more, we consider Tabarca Island to be a perfect destination in the Costa Blanca.
Moreover, as it is an island inaccessible by land, the only way to get there is by sea, normally from Santa Pola.
Do you want to know how to get from Santa Pola to Tabarca Island? Today at Sonneil we will tell you all the details so you can visit this paradise.
Because the good life also comes to the islands.
Tabarca, a golden land
With a certain resemblance to Malta, Tabarca Island is a destination that must be visited at least once in a lifetime. It combines the best of two worlds: the air and the almost infinite blue of the Mediterranean with the medieval heritage of the surroundings.
With a journey of just one day to get to know its best corners, Tabarca offers unusual places such as:
- The old military stronghold of the San José Tower, used as a prison during the 19th century.
- The Galera Island with its underwater world.
- The historic lighthouse… which, due to its limited use, was rather placed in a symbolic way.
- Puerta de Levante, the medieval gateway to the city.
- Puerta de Tierra, with views of the harbour.
- The churches of Saint Peter and Saint Paul.
- Tabarca is not only about land: it is the perfect place to snorkel! Don’t hesitate to bring your diving goggles!
- Narrow streets that always lead to an unexpected sunset.
In short, Tabarca offers a unique experience, where the best thing is to travel without planning so you can let yourself get carried away by your slowed down clock.
How to get from Santa Pola to Tabarca
The best way to reach Tabarca Island is from Santa Pola, located about 7 kilometers away. It is quite a touristy destination, so you will have no problem finding a boat service to take you to the island.
Some information to consider before catching a boat from Santa Pola to Tabarca:
- The journey lasts approximately 20 minutes.
- The weather is an important factor for the departure of boats: if the weather is bad, the boats probably won’t run, so we recommend that you keep this in mind.
- The season also determines the frequency of trips and the number of companies making the journey. During the low season, it is best to make sure in advance which companies operate this short route.
- You can buy your ticket online and it costs usually around 10 euros.
- If you buy your ticket at the port, it can be more expensive, although it all depends on the company.
- There are different types of vessels, including catamarans, ferries and boats: you choose your adventure… which depends to a great extent on the waves.
- If you are going to visit Tabarca with children, don’t worry. There are ferries that even have the capacity to travel with prams and bicycles.
Now that you know how to get from Santa Pola to Tabarca… What are you waiting for to embark on this adventure?
«Beautiful Tabarca, Tabarca my island, you are not left alone night or day. In your lighthouse I sat, to light up my hours, and I only had the calm of your waves».Anonymous
What about trying the Mediterranean cuisine in Santa Pola after visiting the island?
And if after visiting Tabarca you fall in love with this Mediterranean paradise, at Sonneil we offer you apartments in Santa Pola. This way you can go to Tabarca from Monday to Sunday, at any time.
The sea does not understand timetables!