Living on the Spanish coast has many good things and we could dedicate many pages to them, but there is one that we especially like: outdoor sports.
The good weather in areas such as the Costa Blanca and the Costa del Sol, which lasts all year round, allows us to lead an active and healthy life while enjoying the spectacular landscapes and discovering small paradises.
Sonneil recommends the outdoor sports we like the most. Are you up for it?
Cycling is the king of outdoor sports. In Spain, there are a large number of cycling trails that run through natural areas and are a delight to cycling enthusiasts. Galicia, Castilla La Mancha, Andalusia, the Levante coast… Here we show you our favourite trails.
Moreover, Spain is part of the European EuroVelo project, which connects different European countries through roads adapted to cycling. Can you imagine going from Greece to Cádiz along the Mediterranean coast?
The sea is not just for summer. Autumn and spring (and, for the brave, also winter) are great seasons to enjoy the Mediterranean Sea in a more relaxed way than in the summer season. A few laps first thing in the morning will ensure you start the day with a lot of energy.
Some of our favourite swimming areas are Es Carbó beach in Mallorca, Racó de Mar beach in Canet de Berenguer (Valencian Coast), and Butibamba beach in Mijas (Costa del Sol). And, if swimming is not enough, you can always try to discover the seabed and dive on the island of Tabarca or the island of Benidorm.
Do you enjoy panoramic views? So what better way to find them than on any of the trekking routes that our landscapes offer. In summer, the beach overshadows the mountain, which at this time of the year regains the attention it deserves and offers us days in the middle of nature within everyone’s reach. Looking at the sea from a mountain top should be prescribed by doctors!
Some of our favourite routes are in:
- Sierra Helada. This is Benidorm’s natural park par excellence and the first land-based marine park in the Valencian Community, with cliffs over 300 metres high and exceptionally valuable vegetation. There are itineraries for all tastes and an 8-kilometre hiking trail.
- Sierra Bernia mountain range. The views of Alicante’s coast from the Sierra Bernia are spectacular, especially after crossing El Forat, a passageway carved into the rock.
- Rock of Ifach. It is the hallmark of Calpe, rising majestically in front of the sea. It is a protected natural park with easy access, although the second half of the trail is a bit more complicated. However, the views of the coast are worth the effort.
- Between Castellón and Valencia we find the Sierra Calderona. With more than 18,000 hectares, it is considered the lungs of the city of Valencia. Go up to the Garbí peak, where there is a viewpoint, and be amazed.
- Sierra de Espadán, in the province of Castellón. It is one of the largest forests in the Valencian Community, famous for its cork oaks. It has more than 31,000 hectares and there are routes for the whole family.
We are reluctant to stop enjoying the sea in autumn. We want to continue to enjoy it however we can. And there are a thousand ways to do it! The beaches of the Mediterranean are very well prepared for water sports such as windsurfing, sailing, kitesurfing, beach volleyball, paddle surfing, kayaking… and we could go on.
If you do not know where to start, we recommend you try the world’s first cable-ski, one of Benidorm’s most famous water attractions. Have a look:
Yoga on the beach
Among the outdoor sports, we cannot forget yoga. First thing in the morning. The sun begins to rise and the water takes on a silvery tone that almost looks like mercury. What better landscape to do the ‘sun salutation’? Practicing yoga on the sand is an option that is being practiced more and more, because contact with nature is very important for any self-respecting yogi. And you do not need a mat!
As Xuan Lan, a vinyasa yoga teacher, says: when exposed to sunlight we produce vitamin D and also improve oxygenation by breathing fresh, clean air. In this article you can check out the best beaches in the Valencian Community to do yoga while enjoying the most inspiring sunrises.
As you can see, there is much more to the coast than days of umbrellas and hammocks in the sand. Fun is guaranteed by practising outdoor sports and also by taking care of your body. Because the good life begins within us. What more could you ask for?